My latest adventure with Brian

We had the best trip! We knew a few months ago that we wanted to take a small anniversary trip, but we almost never agree on where (mostly because I like to default to Las Vegas). We ended up in Moab, UT--a place neither of us had been. The plan was to visit Arches National Park and get away from adorable but taxing children. Our first day was spent at Arches, taking little walks/hikes around some of the huge and totally cool rock and arch formations.

This is Balanced Rock:

A few pictures at the Windows Section:





When we dropped off the girls at my parents, mom had a little belated birthday celebration for Brian. He enjoyed his cupcake later in the hotel. Hannah even sang Happy Birthday to Daddy all by herself, complete with simulating blowing out candles at the end. It was so precious! The cupcakes were really good, and so was the leftover cheesecake she sent with us.
The next day we visited a state park called Dead Horse Point. We were the only people there, and I think I speak for both of us when I say...This was completely surprising and breathtaking. I didn't know Utah had landscape like this. WOW. We are so used to living in a little Logan bubble, which is gloomy and dreadful most of the time. I couldn't stop looking at it. Aside from being completely beautiful, I loved the SILENCE. You can't hear anything, including the rocks we kept trying to drop over the edge. This is overlooking Canyonlands National Park, which most people don't visit because it requires some serious back country, four wheeling expertise. Maybe next year?

And some free range cattle.





The Colorado River cut the canyons. Isn't this amazing?

We stopped quickly at Slick Rock Bike Trail--this is a world famous mountain biking spot, known for being extremely difficult and deadly. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. This picture doesn't do it justice at all. Slick Rock is rock that is...slick...especially when wet.

The last thing we did that day was finish up at Arches with a hike to the Delicate Arch-the most famous site here and the arch that was on the Utah centennial license plate (feel free to be impressed). Brian discovered his love of petroglyphs and rocks, but hasn't discovered his love of rough hikes. Maybe next year?

The hike was a little tough, but so worth it! It's almost 1.5 miles uphill to get there (climbing up that slick rock stuff)and you don't see the arch until you turn a corner at the very end. It was funny to sit and rest and listen to people's reactions as they turned the corner. My favorite was "Why'd they put it all the way over here? Why don't they just move it down a bit?" I guess that hiker missed the information about natural formations. We also saw some lizards mating, which was a first for both of us.



Another great part about this getaway was SLEEP! It's so nice to be able to sleep sufficiently, which is a luxury we don't get. We really had a fantastic time and owe a huge thank you to my parents who watched our girls for a couple days. Thanks M and D! It means the world to us to be able to do stuff like this.

Comments

Mari said…
I love the pictures. I am glad you got a little break! I love sleep too!I am looking forward to making it before it gets too hot and before we head back to MS. Hopefully this May when school gets out. I want to make use of our National Parks annual pass before we have to buy another one.
Andrew Walker said…
Sounds like a good time, you guys deserve it.
Larri-Lea said…
So glad you had a good time, and gald things started working again, especially your camera. The pictures are very motivating - we actually want to go to those darn red rock places, and I am NOT a dry, crusty, hard rock person. I was pleased to have your monkies - they are delightful, I didn't even get tired of Leah's questions. But then, I only had it for about 48 hours. Thanks so much for keeping up with your blog. It is a joy to read - I'm glad you got your dad's humor genes. They make me smile. and I'm glad I have a new keyboard on the computer - I can almost type now. (Actually, keyboard is old - dad cleaned out the attic and passed this extra keyboard on to me. How kind.)
Unknown said…
I would definitely recommend these parks to everyone-but without children and not in the heat of summer. We went at a perfect time; the high was 65.

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobisms

Out On the Town

NYE